Friday, August 3, 2012

A knock in the head!

I took a new teaching job in Platte this last week.  It was a tough decision to leave a job and community I love, but the driving distance was cut by 60 miles and the time with my family won!  When interviewing for the job the school wanted someone who could teach Birth to 6th grade.  I can only teach special education to eight years.  They spilt the job in 2 and hired 2 people.  One to do the younger and one to do the older.  However after signing the contract the school took a closer look at my certificate (something I should have done long ago) and noticed it only said special education to 5 years.  A huge blow!  I knew that I could and I looked at my trascripts and had my colleges argue with the state, but they are not going to let me teach to age 8.  After much crying and the thought of a losing my job was VERY real.  I questioned God why did he do this...why did he dangle this job in front of me when I wasn't qualified to teach it.  The feeling of not being wanted was VERY real.  Than the state came back and said that as long as I had my SPED degree for K-8 completed in 2 years, I would be considered highly qualified for those 2 years.  So back to school I will be heading....but after USD's wonderful staff helped me out they decided that I have all the classes necessary to teach not only to age 8 but 8th grade....all I have to do is an internship with school aged kids and my job this year!  A complete turn around....from being not what the school wanted to being more than what they needed!

Point of the story:  God has a reason to put you through the fire!  If my degree wasn't questioned I would only be part of what they needed! 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So glad it worked out in the end. But all the drama to get to that point would have been nice. LOL!